- 8 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp tumeric
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbs ground coriander\
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 1kg chicken breasts or thighs cut into pieces
- 3 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp fenugreek
- 2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 long chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
- 300ml cream
- 1 tbs honey
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- Combine half the ginger, half the garlic, half the turmeric, half
the lemon juice and half the oil in a large bowl with all the cumin,
garam masala, ground coriander, paprika,
chilli flakes, yoghurt and chicken pieces, coat and marinate for 30
minutes or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 220 ºC and cook chicken in oven proof dish
uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan and cook onion, chilli powder,
fenugreek, ginger, garlic and turmeric - stirring until onion softens.
- Add undrained tomatoes, cinnamon, green chilli and remaining lemon
juice. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and honey and simmer for another minute.
- Add chicken to curry and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with chopped coriander.