SERVES 4 (as a starter)
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 225g fresh black mushrooms
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- butter / oil for frying
- 175g canaroli rice
- 150ml madeira / port
- ½ cup grated parmesan parmesan shavings for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms in 570ml boiling water for ½ hour. Squeeze the water out of the mushrooms and chop. Reserve all the soaking liquid.
- Cook onion and garlic in a wide saucepan. When softened add black mushrooms and sweat for about 20 minutes. Add the chopped porcini.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat with the butter from the fried onions and mushrooms. Add the madeira / port and the strained soaking liquid. Add a tsp of salt and milled pepper and bring up to simmering point. Transfer the risotto to a warm baking dish. Stir once then place in the centre of a 150°C oven without covering for 20 minutes.
- Take dish out of oven, stir in grated parmesan and put back in the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and put a tea towel over dish until everyone is seated - this makes it creamier.
- Serve with chopped parsley and parmesan shavings.