- 1 roll butter puff pastry
- 6 small pears
- 1 half lemon
- 220g castor sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla essence
- 2 sheets butter puff
- 200g block marzipan sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 250 ml mascarpone
- icing sugar to dust
- 1 bottle stem ginger in syrup
- cream to serve
- Peel pears and place in a basin of water with lemon juice.
- Place castor sugar in a saucepan with 500ml water and vanilla. Stir over low heat and dissolve sugar. Add pears and poach for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 180ºC. Line 1 baking tray with baking paper.
- Halve the pears lengthways, remove cores leaving stalks attached. Cut slices lengthways almost to the top so you can gently fan out the pear halves.
- Cut the pastry into a large circle and place onto a baking sheet.
- Slice marzipan thinly and cover the inside of the circle.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of finely chopped ginger and syrup with the tub of mascarpone and spread on top of the marzipan.
- Lightly score the pastry around the edge and place the pears on top. Brush pastry with egg and bake for 20 – 25 min until golden. Dust pears with castor sugar and blow torch to form toffee crust. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.